Hmmm...

Probably a good idea to put some load on the sytem anyway.
See how the VPN data transfer holds up.
Downloading ports.tar.gz now
Running make in ports/www/kde should keep it busy for a while
Not familiar with bonnie++, I'll check it out

Thanks,

Bruce

On 5/7/07, Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 12:42:55PM -0700, Bruce Bauer wrote:
> On 5/7/07, Jack J. Woehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On May 7, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Bruce Bauer wrote:
> > >This system has been running flawlessly since mid-March with GENERIC
> > >plus the 010 patch. dmesg below
> > >This morning I found it totally unresponsive both through network and
> > >at the console.  Had to use the power switch to recover.
> > >
> > >Where do I start trying to track this down?
> >
> >Open the box and check your power supply and blow it out with air if it's
> >full of dust.
> >Number one cause of mysterious lockups in my personal experience. Next, run
> >a memory
> >test.
> >
> >Only then start trying to debug software, e.g., OpenBSD.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> OK, maybe a little less basic than that.  The system is sitting in a
> restricted access server room.  Not a clean room, but very little
> dust.  Nice and cool..  The system still looks brand new, inside and
> out.
>
> The purpose of this system is to receive streaming video data over the
> VPN from IP webcams.  It doesn't do anything with the data except pass
> it on to a DVR system over the local network.  Plans are to add
> another network card so the VPN and the local network will be on
> separate channels.  But, for now, it all goes through one card.
>
> It has worked in this configuration for over a month with video from 2
> cameras coming in.
>
> Oops! Message from Joachim Schipper  just came in:
>
> There were no console messages
> The authlog does show that someone is trying to brute force an ssh
> login. I think I'll turn off sshd for now...

Nah, script kiddies trying to bruteforce SSH logins are so common that I
just tuned them out of the log parser altogether. Just use public keys,
or good passwords.

That said, Jack might be right to suspect some random hardware failure.
If this is the case, how about some proper stress testing (compiling the
whole system is fairly good in exercising CPU and memory, something like
bonnie++ might help you to test the disk?).

If that doesn't work, the software might be problematic...

               Joachim

--
TFMotD: piconv (1) - iconv(1), reinvented in perl