* mickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-05-09 15:15]:
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 06:46:19AM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:
> > mickey wrote:

> > > this is not true. fsync() works as specified.
> >
> > Apparently, not all apps use fsync, or don't use it properly.
>
> oh so now you are saying that softdeps are broken because
> applications are not calling fsync() ?

Nick never said softdeps were broken.
he said that using them with certain applications is not a good idea -
that is different.
The application is to blame tho.

> > At least qmail advises against the use of softdeps:
> >   http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/reliability.html#filesystems
> > I also found a reference to another mail program which had people
> > making similar advisories, but not sure if they are still applicable.
>
> you whole above statement is wrong and is not based on facts.
> now you are trying to back it up w/ somebody elses opinion
> that is also not based on facts.
>
> now it is also in the archives and peoples will
> refer to it as some sort of truth. the damage has been done.

the "softdeps are incompatible with qmail" "truth" is as old as
softdeps, the damage is long done.

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de