Have you tried starting X several times in a row? I have this issue
when I connect my external display to my laptop. Sometimes X comes up
at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and sometimes it is at 56Hz and looks awful. The
only solution seems to be to restart X several times, and eventually
it gets it right. Sometimes it's not required, other times I have to
restart X nearly 20 times. It seems pretty hit and miss. Hopefully
this will improve with the new 965GM drivers =)

On 5/12/07, Alex Holst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Quoting Jimmy Mitchener ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Also, you claim your rates are correct, yet you clearly have not
> checked the documentation, as many here have told you to do. Looking
> at your xorg.conf I see you have a Dell E228WFP display. It took me
> all of five seconds to find that you were using the wrong refresh
> rates. I really can't even believe I'm bothering to link this for you,
> as it took mere seconds to find on Google. Now please, read the damn
> specs.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5205

The very first xorg.conf and Xorg.log I posted in this thread contained
those HorizSync and VertRefresh settings.

Running with them currently outputs [EMAIL PROTECTED] (that Hz count isn't
a typo. It's now 55, where it before was 56).

This is part of the reason I'm so baffled this doesn't Just Work<tm>:
During my first attempts without a config file, DDC seems to detect all
the right settings but for some reason decided to skip the 1680x1050
mode.

The hints about using 915resolution to massage the i810 driver seemed to
be the missing bit, but even with the following settings, the monitor
won't go above 1280x1024, hence I'm still interested in any comments
that might help resolve this:

tori$ sudo 915resolution -l
Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack : version 0.5.2

Chipset: 855GM
BIOS: TYPE 1
Mode Table Offset: $C0000 + $29f
Mode Table Entries: 39

Mode 30 : 640x480, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 32 : 800x600, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 34 : 1024x768, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 38 : 1280x1024, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 3a : 1600x1200, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 3c : 1680x1050, 8 bits/pixel
Mode 41 : 640x480, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 43 : 800x600, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 45 : 1024x768, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 49 : 1280x1024, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 4b : 1600x1200, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 4d : 1680x1050, 16 bits/pixel
Mode 50 : 640x480, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 52 : 800x600, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 54 : 1024x768, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 58 : 1280x1024, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 5a : 1600x1200, 32 bits/pixel
Mode 5c : 1680x1050, 32 bits/pixel

I've also tried variations on the above, including setting every single
mode to 1680x1050.

--
I prefer the dark of the night, after midnight and before four-thirty,
when it's more bare, more hollow.                http://a.mongers.org