On 2007/06/05 18:10, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Robert Franklin wrote:
>
> > Why not a qfe card from Sun? I've used a quad port Sun PCI card for at
> > least a few years in both me Sun AXI servers, and currently I have one
> > installed in a dell 1550 that works just fine. You can find the Sun
> > quad cards for really cheap off of ebay. I think I picked mine up for
> > around $40 USD.
> >
> Two problems with that:
>
> > qfe is REALLY old
> > qfe is for Sparc, .. might not work on Intel (like the Dell)
>
> Might be worth trying, but don't count on it working.

I'm pretty sure hme(4) work ok on i386. Also on the cheaper side,
znyx (e.g. netapp pulls; *full* length cards) and dfe570tx turn up
at times.

I've had mixed results with Intel quads, ranging from boxes refusing
to POST (on the older ones) and ports not showing up, to corrupted input
packets (GT on a certain motherboard using 64/133), to working absolutely
fine...depends a lot on the motherboard I think.

fwiw I found that RJ45 plugs lock into place much better on the newer
ones (GT) rather than the older ones (ports are inverted).