Brian,

> >       1- Check the hardware compatability list to make sure the
> >          lan card is supported.
> >     2- Take a look and make sure the lan card is seated in it's
> >          slot properly.  I have had this happen a few times with
> >          smaller cards not seating all the way (it's probably because
> >          of my fat paws).
>
> 3. Temporarily boot from another operating system's "live CD", e.g.
>    FreeBSD 6.2 disc 1 (select "fixit" mode to get a shell)
>
>    For a Linux view try Ubuntu 6.06.1, or Fedora 7 for a more
>    bleeding-edge kernel. These two require you to wait for a graphical
>    environment to start though.
>
> These will show you if another OS recognises the card(s) you have.

I booted an ultimate boot disk, with several small linux distros
on them.  None of them found the card.

I reseated the card.  No go.
I tried another card I had, same model.  Nothing.
I am doing this in a 1U box, so there is a pci 1u
riser card.  Could it be the riser is bad?  Or,
could the pci slot itself be bad?

What is the best way to test the pci slot?

Thanks!

JohnM

--
john mendenhall