Hi list,

This is a question for my zaurus, but it's really yh
more of an X issue so I'm not posting to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Under console I've successfully used wsconsctl
keyboard.map+= to make the Ok and Cancel buttons
on the back of my zaurus be Fn and Ctrl,
respectively. This makes typing much much
happier, since I don't need to make awkward bends
in my fingers to get at certain characters.

I'd like to be able to do this under X as well,
and have long-ago discovered xmodmap and know how
to use it.. but I can't map these keys without
also mapping the left and right keypad keys.
I was content to let this sit as a problem of my
own ignorance, but today was reinspired with new
clarification about what keycodes are.
From running xev(1) I discovered that both left &
cancel send keycode100 and right & ok send
keycode102. As I understand it, the keycode is
the lowest level that xmodmap can touch, so there
should not be any way to use xmodmap to remap the
one pair without messing with the other, right?

Clearly, it's not the hardware that picks "100"
and "102" to be those keys, but if it's not the
xmodmap then /where is it/?
I'll be so grateful for any pointers in the right
direction, -Nick