Nick Holland wrote:
> 2) I see the thing is picking up as a "DMA mode 2" device.  I've not
> seen that with the CF devices and adapters I've used...might want to
> try disabling the DMA on that device.  "man 4 wd"
>
> 3) Try another OS on your adapter/MoBo combo.  You may find your CF
> adapter and CF module just don't play nice together (or the CF module
> and the SATA chip set).  I've seen some IDE devices that claimed to
> do DMA and UDMA and were just plain lying, apparently relying on the
> fact that Windows would fall back silently and never tell you that
> the thing was completely screwed up.

while looking at the provided link and after posting, I noticed this:

   To ensure compatibility and improve speeds, a Compact Flash media
   with UDMA Fixed Disk Mode is recommended. Compact Flash media
   without this may not boot properly.

You don't have UDMA, and not sure about this "Fixed Disk Mode", but
it looks like you fall into that last sentence there...

Nick.