On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 03:55:50PM -0400, Jim Razmus wrote:
> * nicodache <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070820 15:26]:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm almost done configuring some little 1U server for my own
> > edutainment, and I'm busy trying to configure the serial console.
> > I have the excellent book of Michael W. Lucas calld "Absolute
> > OpenBSD", and he tells about serial console, that by entering "set tty
> > com0", we can access the machine from any other machine that has a
> > serial port, and a port monitoring software.
> > I use a windows computer for it, only because I know this machine's
> > serial port works, and the configuration I set up for my cisco (which
> > is the same config as the one for openbsd) works in that machine.
> > However, I can't get my serial port on my server to work ; I type in
> > set tty com0, and nothing nowhere ! It even seems this server does not
> > boot up ! (I can't find it with an nmap -sP with serial on booting,
> > while I can otherwise).
> > The server is an old compaq server : Proliant DL 320 (G1), with only 1
> > serial port on the motherboard.
> >
> > Is there anyway for me to check my com port is detected and working,
> > before I put my server into a datacenter ?
>
> This doesn't answer your question directly, but you could take a look in
> the FAQ here:
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#SerCon
>
> and change the relevant line in /etc/ttys to something like:
>
> tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200"  vt220    on secure
>
> If you don't enable the console, 'set tty com0' doesn't help.

Actually, 'set tty com0' in /etc/boot.conf will tell the kernel to
redirect the console messages (notably, the messages at boot) there.

Also, are you *sure* you want to set the console to 19200 baud instead
of the far-more-standard 9600? Even if you are, you should at least
match it with /etc/boot.conf...

(The above suggests booting into OpenBSD with both a serial cable and
if possible a monitor attached, starting the serial session before
OpenBSD starts booting, and looking at the results.)

                Joachim

--
TFMotD: pkg_mklocatedb (1) - create a locate database for packages