On 2007/08/25 00:04, Nick Guenther wrote:
> On 8/24/07, frantisek holop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > i am planning to go on a longer trip and i am considering buying
> > a sub-sub-sub notebookish thingie...
> >
> > i know openbsd support zaurus quite well, and i have found a promising
> > sale of a C3200 for around 500 euros...
> >
> > the things is, it's surprisingly hard (for me) to find any
> > details about these beasts like what can i use it for in
> > comparison with a notebook, how is battery life, and you know,
> > just how does it fare in everyday usage....
>
> For a trip? Just don't.
> The battery life is 7 hours (12 if you pull magic hax of making the
> screen turn off when not in use and compulsively put it in standby
> most of the time) and a lot less with a wifi card in.

Battery life is not too good, but can be extended quite easily at
the expense of extra space - same voltage, connector (incl polarity)
as Sony PSP so there are plenty of battery packs, solar chargers
etc that will work.

Given the obvious general limitations (not much ram, not much disk),
the things I most dislike are: always running from the internal
battery (if you flatten it you can't just plug in another source
and go, you need to let it recharge a bit first), and the limited
precision of the battery level monitoring.

If you can identify how you want to use it that might make the
decision easier. Mobile web+ssh, there are probably better choices,
but you won't find much else to run a full unix OS without going
to 3-4x the size and probably a higher price.