On 01/09/07, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > Yes. The *rights you received* are the central point of the question.
> > > Which did the user receive? The BSD granted ones? Or the GPLv2 granted
> > > ones?
> >

> > You received the full rights granted by copyright law as a recipient,
> > PLUS the ones granted by the entire document.  But, you did not receive the
> > right to modify the author's license document.
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Which is one of two, at the mutually exclusive choice of the user. In the case
> of the three files I see nothing bad done.
>
> > > If some software is dual licensed, you have two sets of rights you can
> > > choose.
> > > It's not both at the same time. The text is even explicit: "alternatively"
> >
> > The word "alternatively" means "replace"?  It might mean "select", but does
> > it really mean "replace in-line"?  What dictionary are you using?  If
> > something
> > is not clear in a legal document, who are you to decide what it actually
> > means?
> > That's the author and the courts who work that out, sorry.
>
> Most dictionaries I had at my hand define alternative as choices. You can get
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alternative
>
>         Noun
>         alternative (plural alternatives)
>         1. A situation which allows a choice between two or more
> possibilities.
>         2. A choice between two or more possibilities.
>         3. One of several things which can be chosen.
>
> If he chose alternative B, the GNU GPLv2, he's bound by the GNU GPLv2 terms,
> and
> not the BSD ones, or even both at the same time. As such, any derivative from
> his
> choice on has to be "on the same terms" he got, namely the GNU GPL v2

Yes, I don't think you actually disagree with Theo -- what Theo tries
to say is that you simply cannot alter the text of the licence -- but
you can, obviously, select the terms of whatever one licence you want
to use.

If you want your modifications to be licensed differently, then you
would have to put a new licence on top of existing licensing text, as
far I as understand. This is how it's often done in OpenBSD and
NetBSD, IIRC.

C.