Hey all,

I've been trying to get my Brother 2070n printer to work for a bit now, and
I'm a bit confused about why it won't work. It's supposed to be a pretty
straightforward Postscript printer, and in the web configuration there are
postcript, text, and pcl services, as well as binary printing. It supports lpd
printing, and I have been trying to use apsfilter to setup the printcap file.

Now, I found the Open Printing Database that indicates that either hl1250,
generic PCL6, or pxlmono drivers should work. There are also supposed to be
some GPL released brother drivers for CUPS, but I don't want to install CUPS.

Now, I run through the setup, and configure the system using a remote printer
"P1" and the remote machine as 10.0.1.77 (which is the static IP with which it
is configured). Everything between the wires seems fine, as I can communicate
with the printer, but the printer does not print out the expected results.

I have a PS file that is easily viewed using Ghostscript. It contains some %%
comment like lines at the start of the file. When I send the file to the
printer, I get a ton of blank pages printed, and either the first page
contains the first three lines of the file printed in a staggered form (as
though it expect CRLF and only got LF), or I don't get anything at all.

Looking at the web configuration page, I notice that there are special
"control strings" for each service, that can be configured to my liking (even
blank, if I so choose). I don't really understand these control strings, but
when I setup a printer in 2002, I remember that I had to do some hacking to
tack on control strings to the file (this was an HP Inkjet printer), and that
made it work.

Does anyone know where I can look to fix this, or know how I can fix this? Do
I need to add control strings somewhere, or should I not even be bothering
with these things and should I be doing something else? Would there be any
other information you would need that would help out in this respect?

Thanks!

--
((name "Aaron Hsu")
 (email/xmpp "[EMAIL PROTECTED]")