The real problem being that scanners, like non-postscript printers,
are immense semi-proprietary bags of ass, So like an inkjet printer,
it's probably an engine written by monkeys and gpl'ed userland driver
written from nonexistent docs or reverse engineered.  Having to get
one for my wife and kid reminds me of the aggravation I went through
with inkjet printers before simply throwing enough money at the
problem to get a printer that spoke postscript and lpr. Having to do
it again with scanners with no option to buy a decent device makes me
think fondly of the mere small amount of pain that was my vasectomy...
If I get something that works I'll let the list know.

        -Bob

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
if ((not 0 && not 1) !=  (! 0 && ! 1)) {