On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:57:37PM -0500, rezidue wrote:
> I've been having problems with throughput on a box I'm using as an edge
> gateway.  I can't seem to get it to push out more than 150Mb/sec at about
> 20k pps.  It's a Tyan Thunder K8SR (S2881) board that has two gig broadcom
> interfaces on a shared pci-x bus.  It's on the bcm5704c chipset and I'm
> running OpenBSD 4.0.  The machine has two dual core amd opteron chips and
> two gigs of ram.  Barley any resources are being used when we are peaking
> during the day.  When we hit around 140+Mb/sec I start seeing packet loss
> and when I copy a file from this machine via scp to another host over the
> gig lan I can see that it directly affects throughput.  I've spent all day
> trying to find the problem but I've had no luck.  Any ideas?  Any info I can
> provide?

Order a 4.2 CD and install it as soon as you get it. 4.2 removed many
bottlenecks in the network stack. In the meanwhile check out for the ip
ifq len:
# sysctl net.inet.ip.ifq
net.inet.ip.ifq.len=0
net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen=256
net.inet.ip.ifq.drops=0

I bet your drops are non 0 and the maxlen is to small (256 is a better
value for gigabit firewalls/routers).
--
:wq Claudio