On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:48:02AM -0700, Tom Bombadil wrote:
> Hi Claudio...
>
> What does 'net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen=256' do for us?
>
> Tried a few 'man', and a few google searches and I wasn't very
> successful. Found tons of other posts telling ppl to bump up that
> sysctl, but never found what it does exactly.

net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen defines how many packets can be queued in the IP
input queue before further packets are dropped. Packets comming from the
network card are first put into this queue and the actuall IP packet
processing is done later. Gigabit cards with interrupt mitigation may spit
out many packets per interrupt plus heavy use of pf can slowdown the
packet forwarding. So it is possible that a heavy burst of packets is
overflowing this queue. On the other hand you do not want to use a too big
number because this has negative effects on the system (livelock etc).
256 seems to be a better default then the 50 but additional tweaking may
allow you to process a few packets more.

--
:wq Claudio