Diana Eichert schrieb:
hmmm, further reading of the data sheet makes me wonder if the serial UART
is at address 2E8H for com3, if so that is disabled in GENERIC.
#pccom3 at isa? port 0x2e8 irq 9        # (conflicts with some video cards)

I'm not completely familiar with the device scan when the kernel is loaded. Will it discover a device hanging off isa0 if a driver is not
compiled into the kernel and show it as "not configured" or will it just
not find it at all?

As it won't probe on port 0x2e8 it will not find it. Thats why it was disabled, the probe will have negative effects on other hardware.

Greetings
  Markus