Hi,

A peculiar thing I noticed with many ports is they need different versions of
autoconf installed (set through the AUTOCONF_VERSION variable) - so in the
end, my system has 3 versions after a couple of port builds (2.13, 2.59, and
2.61). The 2.61 version seems to be the latest one.

In order to avoid having multiple autoconf versions, I bumped the versions of
a couple of ports (cdparanoia, tcl, tk) to the latest (2.61), and
built them. They
did fine. Is any effort underway, which aims at baselining the autoconf versions
across the board? (it need not be the latest, but something which can compile
*all* ports). If not, I'd like to volunteer for this effort. Here is
how I plan to tackle
it:
1. search for AUTOCONF_VERSION= across all port Makefiles, and make a list
    of all ports that use autoconf
2. try building each port with the latest version of autoconf, and go back one
    version until the port builds.
3. if all versions are required (wasted effort of 1. and 2.),
individually check each
    port to see what do they need more/less to configure with latest
autoconf (if
    needed contact the port maintainer).
4. iterate through steps 2 and 3, until only one autoconf version is used
    throughout.

It is possible that by the time the above steps are executed, a newer autoconf
is released. Maybe in the future, individual port maintainer can be given the
responsibility of bumping the autoconf version to the latest.

If someone is already working on similar thing, I'd be happy to join
him/her. Thanks!

-Amarendra