> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:17:36 +0200
> From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samuel_Mo=F1ux?=" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: How do I configure sendmail?
>
> 2007/10/16, Sunnz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Hi, I have read the man pages of afterboot, sendmail, and also looked
> > at /usr/share/sendmail/README. I also have tried to google, and are
> > now confused then ever.
>
> Look at "Providing SMTP AUTH Data when sendmail acts as Client"
> section in that file. I think its all what you need.

Are you sure that this is everything he needs? From my experience with
OpenBSD's Sendmail configuration, he needs SASL to authenticate to his
smtps server. Normally, this would be a simple, compiled in option on
most sendmails, and then, he could follow the instructions in the README
file for setting up his configuration. (BTW, Sunnz, there are some good
tutorials dedicated to just this if you don't understand the file format
of the access file.)

However, when I tried to do this at first, with my SASL enabled
Slackware mail server, I ran into trouble. For some reason, my OpenBSD
sendmail did not have the capacity to authenticate using SASL and normal
SMTP AUTH. I was led to believe that this was the way sendmail was
compiled on OpenBSD, and that I would need to recompile sendmail with
new options to get the needed SMTP AUTH functionality. Is this true?

In the end, I solved the problem by adding pure STARTTLS based
certificate authentication on my server and added my client's certs to
the list of allowable relayers. I like this way of working, but this
also means that Sunnz can't use this model, because he doesn't have
access to the configuration on his ISP's servers, obviously.

--
((name "Aaron Hsu")
 (email/xmpp "[EMAIL PROTECTED]")