On 10/15/07, Rodrigo V. Raimundo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Em Sex, 2007-10-12 C s 09:57 +0200, Raimo Niskanen escreveu:
> > Can grub actually boot a bsd kernel. I thought it was in a
> > different binary format than Linux kernels.
>
> Grub can boot *BSD kernel and can detect in what binary format it is.
> But in case it dont recognite the binary there is a --type=openbsd
> parameter that can be used with the "kernel" command.
>
> > Does grub pass kernel arguments to the bsd kernel in the
> > right way.
>
> It is not possible to pass kernel parameters from grub to /bsd*

I have not had success booting an OpenBSD kernel directly from GRUB.
Specifying --type=openbsd allows GRUB to load the kernel, but the
kernel then dies with "panic: /boot too old: upgrade!"  This happens
both with bsd and bsd.rd from the most recent snapshot.

NetBSD does boot successfully from GRUB, and with netbsd-4 and
-current, kernel arguments work as well.  Kernel args don't really
apply to FreeBSD since for booting FBSD  "directly" with GRUB you use
"kernel /boot/loader" and the loader takes over from there.

I'm sure OpenBSD could be made to boot from GRUB but I don't imagine
that's very high on anyone's list.

Andrew