I've had success with the Sierra Wireless Aircard 860 on a Thinkpad X40.
Lately though the card seems to be acting flakey and causing hard
lockups.  That could be a combination of the firmware which on the
Aircard and the carrier which is AT&T.  From what I've read, it's
recommended to keep the firmware updated to keep in step with the
carrier's infrastructure updates.  Unfortunately I haven't found a way
to upgrade the cards firmware under OpenBSD or Linux.

http://www.sierrawireless.com/estore/Default.aspx?SKU=1100521&CID=1

John