Chris wrote:
> I just upgrade from 4.1-current to 4.2-current on i386. Apache failed
> to start saying "bad username nobody". There is no mention of user
> "nobody" in /etc/passwd or httpd.conf file. The user/group apache
> starts as is www and both of them exist in /etc/group, passwd file.
> Apache was working fine before but now it's not after the upgrade.

there SHOULD be a user "nobody".
There always has been (at least, since 1995).  Take a look in cvsweb,
or better yet, check your backups.
Something deleted it.  That's not good.

> Also, typing "newaliases" gives a segmentation fault (core dumped)
> error and creates a new file - mailwrapper.core.
>
> Not sure if these two problems are related but any help would be much
> appreciated. Thanks.

I'd assume they were related.  Something hosed your system badly, and
it wasn't the upgrade process.  You didn't overwrite the nobody user,
something deleted it.  Maybe just a slip of the finger, or maybe
someone did it for an ungood reason.

Take a really close look at your /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd
files and see if there are other things "odd" about the file (compare
to the file in etc42.tgz).  Look at the logs, look at "last" and
"who", etc.

I can think of lots of errors that might mess up libraries and such,
but not much that can actually DELETE a user...

Nick.