Chris wrote:
However, typing newaliases still gives the mailwrapper.core
segmentation fault core dumped error. I have had postfix installed
which I removed (pkg_delete) after the upgrade. Could this be the
cause of this problem? I manually deleted the _postfix user/group
after I restored the password files.

Depending how you install postfix, you had the choice the first time to have newaliases affecting the standard file in /etc/mail, or the postfix alias file.

Are you sure your newaliases point to the right place?

Is there is soft link or something may be on your newaliases command. Witch one are you using, the standard one, or the postfix one?

# locate newaliases
/usr/bin/newaliases
/usr/local/man/man1/newaliases.1
/usr/local/sbin/newaliases
/usr/local/share/doc/postfix/html/newaliases.1.html
/usr/share/man/cat8/newaliases.0

The default install have only one:

# locate newaliases
/usr/bin/newaliases
/usr/share/man/cat8/newaliases.0

Check to see what you are using.

Standard:
# ls -al /usr/bin/newaliases
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 21 Aug 22 02:42 /usr/bin/newaliases -> /usr/sbin/mailwrapper

Or may be something else.

Best,

Daniel