On Nov 16, 2007 2:39 PM, Juan Miscaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> So I'm setting up my first wireless network for a small business with
> OpenBSD acting as internet gateway.  I am familiar with OpenBSD as
> gateway but not in the wireless context.  I picked myself up a card
> that the docs say is supported (Linksys WMP54G) and will be installing
> 4.2 from my CD this evening.
>
> At this point I'm asking myself the obvious question.  How do I secure
> my network?  I see the authpf is used a lot but is there anything else
> I can do?  What of VPN?  If so, what implementation?
>
> My client stations will be Ubuntu Linux.
>
> Thank you in advance to any responders,
>
> // juan
>

>       Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new
> Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.ca

I combined authpf with OpenVPN, using some big hints from some easily
google-able places.  Even though WEP and WPA aren't supported by
OpenBSD, I still wanted to have authenticated and encrypted traffic.
This might be overkill for some but it works for me.

After setting up the wireless interface to dhcpd a private netblock, I
locked it down with pf:
block in on $wlan_if
pass in on $wlan_if proto udp to port { bootps, bootpc }
pass in on $wlan_if proto udp to ($wlan_if:0) port domain
pass in on $wlan_if proto tcp to ($wlan_if:0) port ssh

Then I setup authpf to allow authenticated users the ability to
connect to the VPN:
pass in on $wlan_if proto udp from <authpf_users> to ($wlan_if:0) port 1194

Next I configured OpenVPN in routed mode.  It hands out IPs from yet
another private netblock I have permanently attached to lo1.

Finally, I treat the tun0 interface like a semi-trusted wired
interface in pf and apply my standard list of allowable client
applications:
client_if = "{ sk0, tun0 }"
pass in on $client_if proto udp to port $udp_client_ports
pass in on $client_if proto tcp to port $tcp_client_ports

This obviously isn't my full pf.conf, and care must be taken because
the rules are highly dependent on order.  My initial setup took nearly
a full day to configure and troubleshoot, since I had to get pf,
authpf, dhcpd, named, and OpenVPN to all cooperate.  I found that
selectively allowing and denying ICMP was of great assistance while
testing pf rules and tcpdump to be essential when I had other services
misconfigured.

Windows and OS X OpenVPN clients are readily available and
configuration is easy if you understood what you were doing when
setting up the OpenVPN server.

Although I feel like I've got a good handle on all the interactions
here, I'm no professional and if there are any gaping holes in this
setup, I am eager to hear about them.  I plan to investigate IPSEC in
the near future, which may be an alternative.

--david