Salut,

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 07:59:17AM -0800, David Newman wrote:

> >> Does it even matter?
> >>

> > Well, if you want to prevent someone from accidentally connecting to your
> > network, yes.
>
> WEP keys can be captured is less than one minute:
>
> http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/120.pdf
> http://tapir.cs.ucl.ac.uk/bittau-wep.pdf
>
> WEP is certainly better than nothing if all you have is older hardware
> that doesn't support WPA/WPA2, but that's about all. If your APs and
> host adapters support WPA, use it, not WEP.

Think of WEP as an encoding. Just like all the others: ASCII, UTF-8,
DES[1], MD5, etc. They do not provide any security, as opposed to encryption
algorithms, such as AES, Twofish, EBCDIC, et cetera. ;-)

Personally, I use IPsec to secure my WLAN, and I can only recommend that
to others. It is very effective.

                                Tonnerre

[1]: It's called Data Encoding Standard, after all ;-)