[EMAIL PROTECTED]; misc@openbsd.org> Subject: Re: lost root account>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:37:19 +0100> > Hi Marcus,> > I thought it was enough
to add the root account through vipw. that this edits> the master.passwd file
and would automatically update everything else?> how would I use pwd_mkdb, i
don't want to delete any other accounts from the> master.passwd file.> >
thanks> > > > > > > Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:41:01 -0200> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:> [EMAIL PROTECTED]; misc@openbsd.org> Subject:
Re: lost root account> > Boot> your machine in single user mode (boot -s) and>
use plain vi and pwd_mkdb soon> after that.> > There's no need to use vipw
when running in boot -s.> > On Nov> 19, 2007 5:18 PM, Jumping Mouse
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> > Hi there, I> have inherited an openBSD machine
with no root account. When I> > boot up in> single user mode boot -s and do a
cat /etc/master.passwd | root> > the only> thing I get is:
daemon:*:1:1::0:0:The devil> > himself:/root:/sbin/nologin I> can't seem to
make changes to the master.passwd> > account by using vipw in> single
usermode. I get a message that the file is> > locked or busy. Can> anyone help
in what I can do next? How can I add the> > root account back to> the
master.passwd file. thanks.> >> > Express yourself instantly with MSN>
Messenger! MSN Messenger> >>
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/> >> >>
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/>