Jumping Mouse wrote:
Ok, Ok I get the point.   I agree that posting line 24 will not help, any user
except root gives the same issues.  And as a last and final attempt I will
check the end of the file for any spaces as Clint suggested.

You mean you haven't check for empty lines and trailing and adjacent spaces yet?

finally:

What if I try a master.passwd file form a working machine of same Build.  If
that file does work then we can conclude it is systemic.

What are you saying?

If you try a master.passwd file from a working machine and it does work, then we can conclude your original master.passwd file was crap.

At this point, I would say end the troubleshooting on the crappy master.passwd file and do what Holland said. Extract a master.passwd file from a pristine etcXX.tgz and go from there. DO NOT use a master.passwd from another working machine. We don't need to introduce other variables.