On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 03:48:14PM -0700, Darren Spruell wrote:

> > > I have seen equally catastrophic failures of Qmail.
> > >
> > > Trying to do mail right for everyone in base is an exercise in futility.
> > >

> > Does base require an MTA?  If so, is there a tiny-drive-footprint
> > local-only no-config MTA that could be in base?  Everything else as a
> > pre-compiled package or in alternate install sets?
>
> Why is everyone trying to come up with a solution to a problem that
> doesn't exist?

The 'problem' is a piece of software installed on the box that some of
us don't use.  It takes up space (how much?).  Each MTA has its
champions and its detractors.  The Solomonesque solution would be to
remove the MTA from base altogether unless things in base need an MTA
for local delivery, in which case installing something smaller than
sendmail that can't be used for anything other than local delivery would
be one solution to the 'problem'.  That's all I'm suggesting.

Doug.