Darrin Chandler wrote:
On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 02:55:09PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
* Marc Balmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-12-08 09:51]:
httpd with IPv6 support uses IPv6 addresses for ambigious constructs.
That is documented in the httpd(8) manpage.
that is completely wrong and disqualifies this patch.
you are fucking everybody for no good reason, as suddenly their httpds will only listen on v6.

'*' isn't so ambiguous, is it? I agree that this should include v4 and
v6. Perhaps :: or 0.0.0.0 can mean one or the other, but * is inclusive.

As for fucking everyone, I'd rather have sensible configs going forward
rather than mindless backward compatibility, but if that's even an issue
here I don't see it.

it would mean code changes for which I have not time right now.

the unspecified address is 0.0.0.0 for IPv4 and :: for IPv6.  '*'
is ambigous and it makes no sense to assume '0.0.0.0' and '::' if
a user specifies '*'.  This could lead to security problems if
someone would not be aware that this uses both address families.
I am strongly in favour of a notation that makes it totally clear
wich address family is meant.

so either people live with the fact that *:port becomes 0.0.0.0:port
for the IPv4 case and ::port for the IPv6 case or we forget about
IPv6 support in httpd for know.  I certainly have neither time nor
the energy to involve in fights over such a detail.

The config change is trivial, small and painless and can be well
documented.