On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 08:44:35 +0100
Mathieu Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]

> I agree "easy to use" and sample are not the same for everyone. That's
> why, to my mind, a good installer should provide several methods to
> install.
>
> If you like the current way it works, you should be able to continue
> with this system. But what if my mum, who has low computer skill,
> would like to install a free, functional and secure system? I think
> the software should help her to make the most accurate choices.
> Because I think my mum too deserves a reliable operating system. :P

MacOS may be a good choice for your mum?

To put my opinion in the right perspectine, I confess that I am a
newbie and have used Linux for some years relying heavily on GUI tools
for configuration and administration. My profession does not require
computing at all (!) and I will not even dream of writing any useful
code. I simply do not have the skills.

I think everyone understands your good intentions but (if you are new)
try to read this list for a few months and you will understand why
there is no graphical installer.

OBSD is primarily a tool for developers. Obviously, any project depends
on a large enough number of skillfull contributors. However, it has
been made clear that OBSD does not care about me or your mum, common
'users'. I do not take offence by this attitude. I believe that we
(users) are in the very fortunate position to be allowed to take
advantage of the effort made by all developers. And for free, nothing
is asked in return (except the the small token shown buying the CD
sets)!

Thank you Developers! Not only for giving me access to your software,
the education that comes with it is equally appreciated.

Back to your case or example, a mum with low computer skills. OBSD may
newer be the right choice for her. If difficulties installing the OS is
stopping her she will not likely be able to administrate her system
without help. This helpfull person will install OBSD and any (well,
almost any :-) application she would ever want or need. This is the
least difficult part in creating a functional OBSD desktop. The
installer and package management are easy for someone with basic
understanding of some the concepts common in all Unix-like systems.
Living with poorly documented hardware, some laptops or a box you don't
put together yourself, can be a much harder experience.

- Ulf