Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Hell, the OpenBSD ports tree should perhaps contain patches which
> REMOVE such commercial operating system support.  That's a fork
> Richard would surely approve of.
>
> Richard, your pants are full of hypocritical poo.

    I have no doubt that in some context Richard is hypocritical.
Though most of us would be hard pressed to structure our lives
to be consistent with our beleifs and principles to the extent
that he has.

    But this is not about EMACS, nor is it about  hypocracy.

    It is about OpenBSD.
    Securing the RSM seal of approval may or may not appeal to you.

    But that still begs the question of OpenBSD's stance on non-free
software.
    Whether you literally adopt Richard's views or not
    rather than try to persuade him to back down on his principles,
    it might make sense to actually decide what yours are.
    Criticizing others is easy.

    From the perspective of OpenBSD values,
    How far does the OpenBSD disdain for non-free software extend ?

    Establish what your principles and policies are or are going to be.
    Adhere to them and THEN if they are consistent with Richard's
    you can insist on his endorsement or burn him as a hypocrit.

    If you are unwilling to adopt policies consistent with his,
    accept that you are not getting his endorsement and shut this thread
down.

    This whole RSM is a hypocritical asshole because he will not make an
exception for OpenBSD
   thread is absurd.
    Trying to argue that there is a technological means of circumventing
principles is ludicrous.
    In the event there actually was, it would just demonstrate another
loophole that needed closed.

    In essence Stallman has thrown the guantlet at you. This is not
about the GPL vs. ISC/BSD.
    There is nothing here that contravenes OpenBSD core principles as I
understand them.
    Even if there is conform your policy to your principles - whatever
they are.
    There is an oportunity here for some real cooperation between the
FSF and OpenBSD, in ways that
    would be both beneficial to both and consistent with the principles
of both.

    Richard has offered you the oportunity to aquire his endorsement.

    With very little effort OpenBSD could be the most significant OS
with Richard Stallman's impratur
    certifying it as totally free.

    If that does not matter then shut this thread down, because it is
pointless.

--
Dave Lynch                                                  DLA Systems
Software Development:                                    Embedded Linux

Albert Einstein