While we're all on this subject (or were, I left for a couple hours), hand
in hand the philosophy that systems should crash loudly, apt, ports,
whatever (if ports doesn't already) should loudly yell at the user (the same
level of fear pushed with "this is cvs code this may break your system so
don't complain!!" since blobs can be just as scary if not scarier[1]) when
closed-source software is about to be installed. These are free operating
systems and like in a (truly) free society people will do very stupid things
with their freedom. Regardless of system be it ututo ubuntu or OpenBSD,
including or excluding blobs in a package list makes _very_ little
difference.

The systems should inform users (or just flag to sys admins yo this is a
blob) with something along the lines of:

"You and your system are now at the complete mercy of this vendor's
competence and self-interested wishes, expect to be degraded to the shit
standard of a windows or mac system, this is an extreme risk[1], would you
like to continue? =)" along with a link to the "Vendor Reasons and Excuses,
The Bullshit" presentation (
http://www.openbsd.org/papers/opencon06-docs/mgp00020.txt).

This type of warning would deliver both the moral and practical reasons
while letting them re-enforce each other as they so well do still being
completely and properly interpreted regardless of camp you're in.

Just like we allegedly got whatever large percentage of the population off
smoking cigs, the GNU camp isn't going to get people off proprietary
software through omissions and on-the-side education. All camps can only do
so much through lobbying to get access to specifications. You gotta get not
just your well-informed users on this but let your average
zomg-*nix-is-leet-transparent-terminals!-guy able to make an informed
opinion too through bold red-lettered "this is lung cancer in a box"
stickers to shift the consensus in your favors regardless of your
motivations, whether they be moral (mercy of someone else sucks) or
practical (having more people screaming/initiating for specs).

I think all package managers list licenses in package info to be helpful to
everyone (those wanting to using a whole OpenBSD system for a "product"
would probably appreciate this the most) and scare the users with capitol
letters about how they're doing something stupid/scary[1] every time they
do.

[1]:  I don't think I have to explain to this group how much blobs suck.

This is something constructive both camps (along with all of us) with little
effort would possibly greatly benefit from. I'm sure the vast minority of us
are sick of having to deal with binary blobs when we are stuck between them
and paperweighting hardware because the vast majority are willing to put up
with them or don't have it shoved into their collective consciousness that
this is bullshit we are putting up with here and that this could and should
be solved.