Isn't this attitude more than a bit short-sighted?  I certainly
    understand the benefits of reserving one's resources for dealing with
    issues that "can happen", but many of the technology-related problems we
    have today are arguably due (at least in large part) to people ignoring
    them as "not possible" until they had already become established
    practice (and so, almost impossible to undo).

I agree that it is useful to begin thinking about these issues now.  I
don't think that we need to start rejecting non-free hardware today,
because the issue is moot now.  But that day may come.

With luck, by the time that is necessary, it will also be feasible.