Hello,

I'm running two Dell Poweredge 2650 Servers with dual Xeon 2,2 GHz und 5 Gig Ram as a redundant firewall cluster, using Broadcom and Intel Gigabit Cards (bge and em Drivers).

Last weekend I got a Denial of Service Attack on my network which brings the firewall to its limits. As some people sometimes asks for the maximum packets per seconds to handle with OpenBSD, here is my feedback: everything works fine up to roundabout 100-120k pps.

A Dell Poweredge 1650 Dual P3 1,4 GHz with 2 Gigs of Ram and Intel Gigabit Cards (em Driver) handles up to 30-40k pps.

Hope this value may help you for finding the matching hardware for your needs.

Regards,

Falk