On January 9, 2008 08:20:40 am Vijay Sankar wrote:
> On January 9, 2008 06:35:56 am Falk Brockerhoff wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm running two Dell Poweredge 2650 Servers with dual Xeon 2,2 GHz und 5
> > Gig Ram as a redundant firewall cluster, using Broadcom and Intel
> > Gigabit Cards (bge and em Drivers).
> >
> > Last weekend I got a Denial of Service Attack on my network which brings
> > the firewall to its limits. As some people sometimes asks for the
> > maximum packets per seconds to handle with OpenBSD, here is my feedback:
> > everything works fine up to roundabout 100-120k pps.
> >
> > A Dell Poweredge 1650 Dual P3 1,4 GHz with 2 Gigs of Ram and Intel
> > Gigabit Cards (em Driver) handles up to 30-40k pps.
> >
> > Hope this value may help you for finding the matching hardware for your
> > needs.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Falk
>
> I changed from using HP DL380's to Dell 2950's in the last year or so since
> it has better support for OpenBSD. With the DL380's, we were getting about
> 70,000 pps during tests but after following the explanations about network
> performance tuning in a great article by Henning Brauer (I have been
> searching for it for the past hour but can't find the URL -- it was at the
> www.openbsd.org web site and I had downloaded it couple of years ago), we
> could get 180,000 pps on DL380's. On the 2950's, I haven't done any tests
> yet but as soon as I find that paper, I will do so.

Finally found the paper I was looking for. It is at

http://www.openbsd.org/papers/tuning-openbsd.ps

Looks like it is older than I thought and some of the points in the paper are
already addressed by new versions of OpenBSD. But it was very educational and
helpful for me when I was trying to improve network performance on some
servers.

--
Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.
President & CEO