bofh wrote:

On Jan 9, 2008 1:52 PM, Jacob Meuser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 10:07:50AM -0500, Kevin Wilcox wrote:

Daniel then brought up the idea of CD sales. Something you can buy and
put an exact digital replica of online.
are sure about that?  and what about the sticker(s) that come with the
CDs?  and the artwork on the insert?  and the preprinted installation
instructions?

This is beyond silly.  FSF/GNU used to sell tapes of GPLed stuff too.  I'm
sure it came with pre-printed instructions as well.  No idea about artwork
or stickers however.  But splitting hairs is not useful.

No, he makes a very valid point. The stickers/artwork/installation
instructions are all copyrighted material and the purchaser of the CD
set is not licensed to redistribute that material. So, if you are making
digital replicas and selling them, that's a big no-no and not what I was
talking about.

My quoted statement was about the content of the CD itself. I had
forgotten why I had originally made my own OpenBSD CDs - the *layout* of
the master set is copyrighted as well. You can't legally rip and
redistribute the purchased CD set (well, unless you're Theo or he
licenses it to you in such a way that you are allowed to do so). While
it doesn't affect the broader scope of my argument (you can make money
selling software that is already freely available), it does affect that
particular statement.

kmw