On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:34:46 -0500, "Kevin Wilcox"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> bofh wrote:
> >> are sure about that?  and what about the sticker(s) that come with the
> >> CDs?  and the artwork on the insert?  and the preprinted installation
> >> instructions?
> > This is beyond silly.  FSF/GNU used to sell tapes of GPLed stuff too.  I'm
> > sure it came with pre-printed instructions as well.  No idea about artwork
> > or stickers however.  But splitting hairs is not useful.
> No, he makes a very valid point. The stickers/artwork/installation
> instructions are all copyrighted material and the purchaser of the CD
> set is not licensed to redistribute that material. So, if you are making
> digital replicas and selling them, that's a big no-no and not what I was
> talking about.
>
> My quoted statement was about the content of the CD itself. I had
> forgotten why I had originally made my own OpenBSD CDs - the *layout* of
> the master set is copyrighted as well. You can't legally rip and
> redistribute the purchased CD set (well, unless you're Theo or he
> licenses it to you in such a way that you are allowed to do so). While
> it doesn't affect the broader scope of my argument (you can make money
> selling software that is already freely available), it does affect that
> particular statement.

"While it doesn't affect the broader scope of my argument
(you can make money selling software that is already freely
available), it does affect that particular statement."

OK, I will explain it to you because I am tired of you *not* *getting*
*it*.
The software is simultaneously available as a CD (actually DVD) set you
can purchase and as a free download. There are so few people that
need to buy the CD's that it is irrelevant to this point.
OpenBSD is not making money from selling software. When you buy the
CD's you are knowingly doing so to help support the project. You don't
*have* to buy them. You can get the software for free. When you buy
the CD's you are really buying an idea. This is totally different than
the
concept given in the GPL link that was given earlier in this thread
about
allowing you to sell your software that is GPL'ed.
Apples and Oranges.