Brian,

After your post (and several others), I tried BitTorrent out on my
network (sparc64 router + DOCSIS 2.0 cable connection; see
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120019379210857&w=2)

After some experimentation, I was able to determine that running
BitTorrent with a large number of connections causes a huge increase
in latency regardless of bandwidth.  No one seems to know why this is,
but that might just be because my thread got buried by trolls and
other posts.

I'm not having watchdog timeouts but there is an off chance that the
latency increase that I experience and your timeout problem may be
related.  My work around is to use the max-src-states feature of pf to
limit the number of bit torrent connections to a reasonable number (50
seems to be a good trade-off on my machine, YMMV).

Could you modify your pf.conf to do this (or limit your connections at
the client and use pf to confirm) and let us know if that works on
your end as well?

--MHC