* Paul de Weerd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-01-16 13:35]:
> | 2) Under what circumstances (generally) would one encounter a situation
> | where it would strongly desirable to have a custom kernel?
>
> I think the goal is "never". Under no circumstances *should* it be
> 'strongly desirable' to have a custom kernel. (this is my
> interpretation, YMMV)

yes, that is the intent.

> However.
>
> If you're very low on resources (memory being the most important one
> here, I think)

if you're so low on memory that GENERIC vs custom kernel makes a
difference, get new hardware :) i mean... that would be,... sth with
way less than 64MB of RAM. I'm reasonably certain my cell phone has more.

> or if you want to use some of the more experimental
> drivers (NTFS comes to mind) or if you're testing / doing kernel
> development, you may want to compile a non-GENERIC kernel.

yes. sometimes you need to bake your own kernel when testing
experimental stuff.

> I've been playing with bluetooth for a bit and have been testing ACPI
> drivers (that were not enabled in GENERIC) for some time. These are
> two cases where building a non-GENERIC kernel is called for. This sort
> of stuff should not be used or run in a production environment (I
> think). There's a reason why it's not enabled in GENERIC.

exactly.

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de