G|nter Zimmermann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using openbsd as router and firewall for several
> years without problems to do routing between four networks
> ethernet, ipv4) using 100 Mbit/s nics. After upgrading network
> infrastructure to 1000Mbit/s the network throughput is not as
> expected. I expected a throughput around 100 Mbyte/s and got
> about 30 Mbyte/s(240Mbit/s) (ftp,ssh,nfs), netperf 550Mbit/s.
> My question is now, whether harddisk and/or filesystem
> performance could have an impact on the network throughput
> when pf is used for routing and firewall purposes. I use intel
> pro server nics each on one PCI-E bus. The firewall system is
> a amd dual core with 2 GB ram and one 80 GB SATAII harddisk.

wrap your lines.

If you aren't logging massive amounts of stuff, disk performance
is not an issue.

This is a question you can answer yourself MUCH better than we
can.  Look at the machine.  See the disk activity light?  See
how much it is blinking?  If you see a lot of blinking, you have
some potential room for improvement.  If you don't, an infinitely
fast disk system wouldn't do anything for you.

I've had an OpenBSD machine firewall run for months with a dead
hard disk, and I've seen a firewall with overly aggressive
logging fill 4G of logging space in three days (but even that
probably had minimal impact on the system performance).

Nick.