At first, thanks a lot for your responses. According to infos I found in
the list archive I changed the values for net.inet.ip.ifq.* as follows
net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen=1024 (256 * number nics)
net.inet.ip.ifq.drops=0
net.inet.ip.ifq.len=0
This had no effect on the network throughput.

In the next step I increased the value for net.inet.tcp.recvspace and
net.inet.tcp.sendspace to 262144 and that had big impact on the network
throughput.
The network throughput increased from 550Mbit/s to 940Mbit/s.

Because of this effect I would like to know if there is detailed
documentation availbale, describing the sysctl values and there
effects? Unfortunately the manpages don't describe these things
detailed.

Another issue is based on the disk subsystem. Not the disks in the
openbsd router, but the disks used by the clients. At the moment
maximum writing speed is about 54Mbyte/s which is half the network
speed. I guess the only thing I can do here is to use raid0 to increase
read/write speed.

nstag, 12. Februar 2008 15:40:31 schrieb Stuart Henderson:
> On 2008/02/13 01:04, Darren Spiteri wrote:
> > Try tweaking this sysctl: net.inet.tcp.recvspc
> >
> > Give it sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144 and run your tests.
> > Tweak it down from there.
>
> This is irrelevant on a firewall/router.
>
> > > I have been using openbsd as router and firewall for several years
without
> > problems to do routing between four networks (ethernet, ipv4) using
100 Mbit/s
> > nics. After upgrading network infrastructure to 1000Mbit/s the
network
> > throughput is not as expected. I expected a throughput around 100
Mbyte/s and