On 2/16/08 8:48 PM, Matthew Weigel wrote:
Marco Peereboom wrote:
I can take this only so long before replying...

I tried to walk away too.  However...

The discussion on kernel threads is irrelevant.  It is not about having
some lower level support that will magically make threads not suck.

Actually, this is the part of the discussion that interests me. Is threading a doomed hope on OpenBSD, a model of utilizing multiple cores which the developers have zero interest supporting? Has the work on libc_r and the like been abandoned completely?

I got involved in this discussion because of the assertions about why OpenSSH could never be multithreaded, why no software should ever be multithreaded, and so on. Of course parallelizing work using multiple processes is a valid and reasonable approach as well, but it is not the only one, and it is not necessarily the appropriate approach in every case.

As far as I see it:

= Yes threads can be implemented in a good way, difficult but doable.

= Threads running on cpu's that share memory and can influence each other are
  completely clueless from a security point of view.

Since SSH's primary goal is a secure connection and current CPU's have problems with securely splitting threads multi threaded SSH isn't very interesting.

+++chefren