On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 03:10:12PM +0100, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:

>   I noticed, that default path, where software from binary pkg and "ports"
>   gets unpacked, is /usr/local hierarchy - unfortunately, it's also the
>   "traditional" default of every individual source *.tar.gz package - such
>   way the software ported to OpenBSD gets mixed with any other package,
>   which I had installed. Wouldn't be reasonable to create new hierarchy,
>   especially for the "native" OpenBSD software (from binary packages and
>   ports) - I mean: something like /usr/pkg in NetBSD?
>
> It doesn't need any funding to fix this.

You're an idiot.

Contrarily to what you think, doing so needs *testing* and a solid upgrade
path.

I've made enough passes of `trivial' changes through the ports tree to know
that any such apparently simple change triggers issues (lots of them).

Remember you're in a thread that praises OpenBSD stability ?

Think about it. We do *not* want the standard location of the ports tree
to be tweakable, because that means more bugs, and more breakage.

So, moving things around to /usr/pkg ? Yeah, right... not that simple. It's
a big change. Yeah, a simple change, in apparence, that requires lots of
testing.

That's the main reason we haven't done it.

Try it, make a list of the issues of doing this (the *real* issues, think
about the people who are going to want to update their machine), make a
start at it.

And then report back. If it doesn't require any funding, *you* can do it,
so show it to us.