On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 02:14:31PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > But that >100 year old technology used to be DC earlier, then it was
> > converted to AC because of its inherent benefits.
>
> way over a hundred years ago, yes (except for some small irrelevant
> isles like parts of new york if memory serves).

Even new york stopped doing it last year.  There is no more DC current
being served.

> > Similarly, wouldn't it have been beneficial to go for a modern
> > approach for the network stack?

There only is perceived benefit; which clearly mean you fell for the
marketing bullets.  Good, go buy sun stuff and run their OS.  It is as
nice a UNIX as you'll find.

> we have a very modern approach: correct, secure and fast.

Amen!

> > (not that now I can do anything about it, all's lost for me)

Maybe some drama classes are in order.

> > Could you please read http://research.sun.com/minds/2007-0710/
>
> yeah, i did, lots of marketing blubber, lots of bla bla, lots of vague
> indications, nothing concrete, nothing technical.

That piece was more than worthless.  Some ding dong said "ooh ooh I made
it faster".  Well fantastic!  Unfortunately there is no quantification
of faster.  0 x fast is still 0.

Besides if you actually understood the beauty and elegance that is the
OpenBSD TCP/IP stack you wouldn't be yammering about marketing
horseshit.  Old != bad.  Actually, over the last few years in computer
land new == bad (java, xml, c++ etc).