The issue is that when building and installing new kernels (eg, when a
new security patch is released), it is not totally obvious to the
(automated) build script what the file /bsd really is, is it the
uniprocessor kernel, or a link to the multiprocessor kernel?
If the latter, than blindly copying the new uniprocessor kenel to /bsd
is probably not what you want to do.

With my proposal, new kernels can be safely copied to /, since they
have unique and distinct names.

NB, I am NOT proposing different default behavior for installs.  The
uniprocessor kernel would be the one installed by default,
the difference is that it would be named distinctly, and that /bsd
would be some sort of link to the uniprocessor kernel.
People can choose to install or not install the bsd.mp kernel, just as
they do today, those who do can chose (or not) to change the link from
/bsd to /bsd.mp .
The only cost I currently see for my proposal is the cost of a link in /.

At present, I see very little cost to my proposal, and reasonable
benefit to some class of users.

Perhaps someone on this list will come up with a really good reason
why this a bad idea, but I haven't heard that reason yet.

Best regards,

Don