Matt and Paul,

Thank you for the information about boot.conf, using that will enable
me to keep the uniprocessor and multiprocessor versions of the kernel
distinct.

I think I was led astray initially by this comment in Section 8.12 in the FAQ:

     A separate SMP kernel, "bsd.mp", is provided with the install file sets,
     which can be selected at install time.
     It is suggested that you test booting this kernel before renaming
it to "bsd" to make it your default kernel.

See: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#SMP

Perhaps the FAQ should be modified to tell people to change boot.conf
instead of renaming the kernel files, to prevent others from
overloading /bsd and the default kernel.

Thanks for your help!

Don