IPSEC works well if you blissfully ignore the hassle of setting up
IPSEC on every possible client you want to support in your network. OS
X' native configuration panels does not deal with IPSEC, but, comes
with Racoon so that one can take the trouble to set it up without
having to compile additional software. Windows doesn't not deal with
IPSEC easily either, and once one has taken the painstaking hassle to
set it up they quickly find that the crypto supported isn't much to
cheer over.

I'm personally also waiting for the day WPA/2 capability finally shows
up in OpenBSD, but, in the meanwhile, sure, unencrypted or WEP'd WiFi
with IPSEC *works* - just not easily :)

The best tip I can give to you, Dominik, is to go with OpenVPN for
now. It's a much more convenient solution, especially since competent
and intuitive client tools are freely available under both Windows, OS
X, and BSD/Linux.

-SD