So it must be an FreeBSD issue, sorry for the noise.
>  I ran a few tests, and OpenBSD seems perfectly capable of using those
> extended characters.... have you tried using doubled quotes?
I tried *everything* (backslash, double quotes, single quotes,...)
BTW my ssh version is OpenSSH_4.5p1 FreeBSD-20061110 but I tried also
openssh-portable-4.7.p1_1,1 from FreeBSD ports.

>  sftp [EMAIL PROTECTED]:"file with spaces and Umlauts.txt"
>
>  That should work.. but, spaces and "extended characters" are so "unclean"
> in the Unix world, it was never designed to use them.
Yes, but we are not in the 70's of the last century anymore ;-)