Hmm.  I didn't realize there was an open standard for USB webcams.

>From the Wiki: "* These devices also have non-UVC equivalents by the same
>name. Please check the product number to confirm UVC compatibility."

So, how common are these devices?  Will they continue to be produced according
to standard?

I have an application under consideration that would use a webcam and should
integrate
with an existing OBSD application.  Currently the best bet for this is a web-ip
cam,
which, in most versions, amounts to a linux-driven ARM system with a webcam as
part
of the box.  This increases the co$t of the camera subsys from about $40 to
something
around the $100 dollar mark and also restricts (somewhat) the number of devices
available (D-Link DCS-G900, SkyIPCam 250W,WVC54GCA,WVC200,Axis 207W).

Writing a driver for a proprietary device has little recuring value, but the
extance of
a public standard and devices changes things.  Having a USB webcam that
directly attaches
to an OBSD box has very considerable value from a number of perspectives.

Dhu