Rafael Morales wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Please someone help me I have deleted my /etc dir (rm
> -rf /etc), is there any way to recover it, or there is
> a way to recover  my data stored in /home ???
>
> Rergards

restore from backup? :)
something tells me this is not an option.  Actually, even if
it is an option, you probably need to get the system up enough
to do your restore...

Several ways.  Easiest might just be to reinstall OpenBSD from
scratch, but don't touch your /home partition (when it asks
where to mount it, say "none"), then add it to /etc/fstab after
reboot.  You did put /home in a separate partition, right? :)

You could also boot bsd.rd, and do something like:
mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
cd /mnt
tar xzpf /path/etc.tgz

then go through and re-customize it.  You will be worried about
hostname.if, hosts, myname, mygate, resolv.conf, but also other
files, too.

(now you can restore from your backup. :)

Once you get the system gimping along, take a look in /var/backups.
Now, vow to kiss the feet of the person who did that person should
you ever meet them.  Or buy them a beer, which they will probably
prefer anyway.  This doesn't apply if you reloaded the whole system
and blew away your /var partition.  You did have /var in a separate
partition, right?

Nick.