Matthew Smith wrote:
> Quoth Rod Whitworth at 2008-04-09 08:04...
>> Matthew, you are pretty new here so I'll be kind.
>> Read http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Why
> For this, I apologise.  I am currently in the situation that I don't
> know where to look for what.  I might try writing a "OpenBSD for Linux
> escapees" somewhere down the track, because that's what I really need.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq9.html  :)
Don't re-invent, improve. :)
(It used to be called "migrating from Linux" or something like that,
but there are a lot of other non-Linux Unixes that people might be
coming from).

>> Also Search The Fine Archives
> I now discover that they are under a different domain - which is why the
> site search wasn't pulling up much.  I must pull out my copy of 'Google
> Hacks' and see if there is a way that an aggregated site search can be
> done that pulls in the list archives as well.

there's a bunch of archives out there, each has their own search
functions, and that's really a good thing.  Very often, when looking
for something and one search engine strikes out, another will pop up
the answer for you.  As wonderful as Google is, it isn't the Final
Word on knowledge retrieval.  Often, when the best answer is "don't",
search engines do a much better job of coming up with more long-
winded and incorrect answers.

>> The GENERIC kernel has been compiled with all the right flags. The
>> article you cite was never good advice and furthermore it is going on 8
>> years old.
> It's going to take me a while to get used to having a kernel that I
> don't HAVE to touch - not that I'm complaining!

wait until you get used to working on your projects rather than
tweaking your OS... It will raise your expectations on everything.

Nick.