Matthew Smith schreef:
I'm only really concerned about the base system as I always build all my LAMPP components, Postfix, etc., by hand so that migrating box-to-box can go without [a hitch|many hitches].
OpenBSD optimalisation is rather about NOT touching the kernel - unless you really have a specific need for it. Run 'GENERIC'. That has worked remarkably well for my webservers for years now.

If you are used to LAMP setups the only thing you might need to look at is the MySQL configuration. That might need it's own login class (busy servers) but I believe more recent packages started mentioning this. Otherwise search the archives or have a look at openbsdsupport [1]. Both have the info on how to do it.

Assuming you are new(ish) to OpenBSD you might run into some other well known pitfalls:

OBSD has the httpd chrooted [2] by default and php's mail capabilities (which call /bin/sh) can therefor not work out of the box [3]. Also building by hand isn't needed / advisable - use packages [4]. If that doesn't work check the ports [4] system
(which all should feel very familiar coming from Gentoo)

HTH
Matt

[1] http://www.openbsdsupport.org/mysql.htm#Limits
[2] http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#httpdchroot